11/1/09

Leaving India and Random Thoughts

Janet here. After jotting down details about sites and events as we travelled through India, I realize I also have a plethora of random thoughts, impressions and observations I would like to capture. Some of it will perhaps be obvious or familiar to those who have travelled in India, but it was my first time so bear with me. It is such a vast and variable country. We only touched on a small part of it.

Although I am glad we visited India, it was for sure a tough go swirling around in the melting pot of contrasts it has to offer. Especially I think for a family. I would like to take a moment to say how proud we are of both Sadie & Anna for handling it as well as they did.

We made it without major incident like sickness or theft. Our money belt, cameras and at least one backpack has become another extension of our bodies, never left behind. It will be strange to walk around without them when back in Canada.

I found India incredibly romantic and full of heart. I will never forget the image of couples riding motorbikes, the wind whipping the women’s beautiful saris, hands delicately placed on her driver’s shoulder while perfectly balanced sidesaddle, weaving in and out of traffic. Couples stop randomly all over the city, taking a moment to talk closely together, perhaps the only opportunity they have to be “alone” together.

And once a family, those same couples continue to use the motorcycle as their main mode of transportation, everybody aboard at once racing from school to work to shopping to…
Flowers, colourful fabrics and perfumed smells are everywhere providing a stark contrast to the garbage, poverty and concrete. I’m reading a novel right now set in India. The author describes the smells as the best, worst smell around. How poignant. I was forever simultaneously grossed out and thrilled by things I saw and smelled.

Traffic. I will never forget finally finding ourselves on an actual divided highway, away from the horns and grid lock of the city…only to then see cars coming head on towards us in our lanes. When we tried to ask, it seemed the only reason was perhaps it was a shorter route. Lane driving? Non existent. Being a passenger (and I don’t think either of us would choose to drive ourselves around India) is not for the faint of heart or those overly concerned with following what we know as the rules of the road. Traffic lights? Speed limits? Crosswalks? Ha! I’m still not sure if driving in India has cured me of being the worst passenger in the world driving at home, we’ll see. Ron can only hope.

Speaking of Ron. I remember one evening as he sat at the head of our little table, his four women gathered around, drinking tea when it dawned on me full force…the guy is surrounded by women for six months. Yikes. He will definitely appreciate some quality time with the boys come January and we appreciate fully his patience hanging out with us 24/7. I’m sure it is a bit overwhelming at times.

We left India feeling like it was time to go. We are much more enriched for the experience and we will hopefully return some day to explore the areas we were not able to see. A little ragged around the edges, we turn our thoughts towards Nepal, apple pie in Kathmandu and mountain air.

Thank you India, it’s been a slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment